Open application to ’GENERATOR – Choreography Fellowship’
Danish Dance Theatre, founded in 1981, is the foremost contemporary dance company in Denmark. Since moving to the Opera House in February 2017, the company has been evolving rapidly, both in regards to our growing audience and with the appointment of our new artistic director, Pontus Lidberg.
Through the ‘GENERATOR - Choreography Fellowship’, Danish Dance Theatre is initiating a new concept to promote talented Danish choreographers. As an applicant, you have already shown your potential through the creation of a few performances, and are now ready to move further in your artistic career. Through this collaboration, you will be working closely with Danish Dance Theatre’s dancers, Artistic Director, production staff and administration in order to take the final step towards recognition, both nationally and internationally.
The company offers an individually adapted developmental process, drawing on the benefits from three key elements that Danish Dance Theatre can offer.
- The network of our Artistic Director Pontus Lidberg, who will also counsel with the choreographers.
- A contemporary dance company composed of handpicked international dancers with focus on technique, performance and improvisational talent.
- The administration and production team of Danish Dance Theatre can assist the choreographers with everything from contact to artistic partners, presenters, international networks, dramaturgy & PR activities. There will also be access to studios, stage and technical equipment.
The choreographers of GENERATOR will produce one piece per year, which may be presented at both the Opera’s black-box stage ‘Takkelloftet’ and on the national tour. Additionally, the pieces may be selected and presented by international and national partners. Danish Dance Theatre also offers: A mentor arrangement, for example with Pontus Lidberg, a dramaturge, a production designer, and participation in various workshops. A thematic framework will be outlined for each choreographic work and you will work in close cooperation with Danish Dance Theatres’ dancers, Rehearsal Directors, production staff and administrative team.
In this way, the GENERATOR choreographers will be part of a unique developmental project, enabling both the choreographers themselves and the audience to discover new aspects of talent and contemporary dance. Danish Dance Theatre, and its internationally acclaimed Artistic Director Pontus Lidberg, is thereby offering five up-and-coming choreographers the opportunity to work with a top professional production staff.
Danish Dance Theatre is a company with focus on dance as a physical expression. This is of the utmost importance for those selected, both dancers and choreographers, as this form of contemporary dance demands strong technical, physical, choreographic and performance prerequisites. We are therefore looking for those with a choreographic talent that matches this form of expression and wish to explore it further.
Who are we looking for:
- You have been educated as a choreographer or dancer and have had a number of choreographic works performed on stage.
- You have strong dance, choreographic and stage qualifications.
- You are able to create choreography within a given thematic framework.
- You are Danish or otherwise connected to Denmark. For example, you may have lived in Denmark for a period of time, or have worked together with Danish culture institutions/theatres.
- You are fluent in written and oral English.
- You have strong social skills and experience with project-oriented performances.
- You are motivated, you take responsibility for your tasks and full of initiative.
- You are flexible concerning working hours. You are able to take part in the planning process, starting in the middle of 2018 until the middle of 2020.
Danish Dance Theatre can offer you:
- Flexible working periods, scheduled together with other projects that take place at the same time.
- To be part of an ambitious and creative cultural environment, where your professional development is central.
- To obtain insight concerning the production, communication and public relation development of one of Denmark’s leading cultural institutions.
- To work together with a wide range of national and international artists and cultural institutions.
- To assist you in fulfilling your choreographic ideas, in cooperation with the company’s professional production team.
- To assist you in moving forward in your choreographic development – both nationally and internationally.
- To be compensated accordingly for the public performance of your choreographic works.
For further information please contact producer Lars Vind-Andersen, phone number + 45 28 86 08 92. Please forward your application with CV and possible references, no later than Sunday the 18th of February 2018, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please enclose the following to your application:
- At least three videos showing examples of your choreographic work that has been performed on stage. Link from Vimeo/Youtube or transfer files via wetransfer.com to email@example.com
- A description of your artistic vision.
- A description of other engagements during the collaboration period from the middle of 2018 to the middle of 2020.
- A description of your connection to Denmark. Have you danced or been living in Denmark? Have you collaborated with theatres/culture institutions during a certain period in Denmark?
Download this description as PDF HERE
‘Generator – Choreography Fellowship’ is supported by: Augustinus Fonden, Knud Højgaards Fond, Bikubenfonden, Louis Hansen Fonden.